The world may have celebrated too soon when Vietnam stayed COVID-free as the rest struggled to deal with it for the last 3 months.
Vietnam was able to put the coronavirus under control for 99 days, or so it seemed, as per an AP report.
The global community thought highly of this country and its population of 96 million.
The death toll was nonexistent.
At the border, infected people were taken into custody and isolated.
However, a second outbreak began a week ago, totaling 48 cases peppered in six parts of the nation.
Consequently, the government will have to reimplement the restrictions that many people thought to be over and done with.
This second wave could be worse than it seems, experts said.
The First Infection After More Than 3 Months
Last week, A 57-year-old man from Danang also known as Patient 416 was hospitalized due to a fever, as per Reuters.
His lab result shows he tested positive for COVID-19.
His condition went from bad to worse, and eventually, he was placed on a ventilator.
Vietnam was convinced that it had triumphed over the virus, and reopened faster than most nations.
In just a few days, 47 people who had been to the central city of Danang, had tested positive.
It is a foreshadowing of a more harrowing and undetectable third surge of infections, Reuters reported.
The new spike has fanned out in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, the Central Highlands, and three other cities and provinces.
Complacency Could Result In Dire Consequences
On Wednesday, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc, strongly admonished everyone.
According to him, the entire country is now very vulnerable to infection.
Truong Huu Khanh, Nhi Dong I Hospital’s Infectious Diseases chief, explained the situation.
Everyone, even the “health workers, had let their guard down months before” the new surge came.
They no longer wear “masks in public,” he said.
Also, some medical workers went loose with restrictions on ‘high risk’ cases.