Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia has lifted it’s nationwide curfew, said a BBC report.

However, other restrictions will remain. (read more about the restrictions here)

Authorities said all economic and commercial activities will now resume.

But the country still bans on international travel and religious pilgrimages will not change.

The kingdom has not yet made any announcements about the annual Hajj pilgrimage.

That is stated to begin in late July.

SAUDI ARABIA RELAXES COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS
Hajj pilgrimage

Meanwhile, other countries have said they will not allow their nationals to attend.

This includes countries like Malaysia and Indonesia.

Around 2.5 million pilgrims normally travel to the city of Mecca for the annual pilgrimage.

This is a religious requirement for all adult Muslims who are able to travel.

According to a tally by Johns Hopkins University, Saudi Arabia has recorded almost 155,000 infections and 1,230 deaths.

But the number has increased in recent days, the AFP news agency reports.

Tough restrictions to curb the spread of coronavirus came into force in March.

This included 24-hour curfews in most towns and cities.

Some measures were already lifted.

Tens of thousands of mosques – including the Prophet’s Mosque in the city of Medina – reopened last month.

Around 1,500 mosques in Mecca followed suit from Sunday.

In April, Saudi Arabia asked Muslims planning to take part in the Hajj pilgrimage, to delay booking.

This is due to the threat of the coronavirus pandemic.

Hajj Minister Mohammed Banten, said the kingdom was concerned about the safety of pilgrims.

He urged people to “wait before concluding contracts”.

The lesser pilgrimage, the Umra, has already been suspended.

UPDATE: Recent news says the Hajj pilgrimage will go on.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here