The Mexican Army allegedly took over the Plaza de la Constitución two days before the annual Grito, reports say. 

The Metropolitan Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Mexico announced the closure on its Facebook page. 

According to them, the Mexican Army took the Plaza de la Constitución making it difficult for the faithful to “participate in the Eucharist,” the Cathedral said. 

The Cathedral also shared that both the Federal Government and the City of Mexico (CDMX) did not give them clear information about the incident. 

Thus, they were not able to inform their “parishioners” of such change. 

People were also outraged of this sudden announcement and blame the government for taking over the Cathedral. 

The incident is “unheard of!” Twitter user, Julio Hernández wrote.  

The Federal government and CDMX “owe us an explanation for this outrage and abuse of authority!” Pbro. David Guadalup wrote on his Twitter. 

There Is No Military Take Over, Just A Failure Of Communication 

The annual Grito de Dolores will be celebrated online this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic and its restrictions. 

The restriction includes gatherings at the Plaza de la Constitución.

On September 11, President Andrés Manuel López Obrador (AMLO) announced the plan for the Grito during a press conference.

“There will be no citizen participation” at the Grito at the Zócalo this year due to the pandemic, AMLO announced.

Moreover, the celebration will continue.

Represented by pyrotechnics and a torch that will be lit at the Zócalo among other symbols, said AMLO.

The Armed Forces, the Navy, and the Defense will also be present at the Zócalo while observing social distancing, AMLO added. 

According to Pascal Beltran del Rio, a journalist and Editorial Director of Excelsior, it is not true that soldiers took over the Cathedral.

A source told him that the Federal Government already had an agreement with the Cathedral that the military will protect them starting Monday. 

“The operation is the same every year,” Beltrán del Rio wrote in his Twitter post. 

However, the Cathedral was not notified of the early presence of the military before Monday. 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here