Several Trump officials have decided to resign from their posts after pro-Trump supporters breached the Capitol on Wednesday and stop the certification of Joe Biden for the presidency.
Most of those officials stated that the reason for their resignation is the mob’s violent behavior at the US Capitol and US President Donald Trump encouraging them. However, some have remained mum about their reasons.
The most recent high profile resignation is of education secretary Betsy Devos.
White House reporter for Axios posted Devos’ resignation letter on Twitter.
In her letter, Devos said that the behavior of “violent protesters” at the US Capitol “was unconscionable” for the country. She also added that the president’s “rhetoric” on the situation has impacted it. In fact, this reason has become her turning point.
Others Have Already Resigned
Aside from Devos, other Trump officials have already tendered or announced their resignation. Those officials are:
- Elaine Chao, US transportation secretary,
- Mick Mulvaney, Trump’s special envoy to Northern Ireland. Mulvaney said he already told Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, that he “can’t do it” and he “can’t stay.”
- Matthew Pottinger, Trump’s deputy national security adviser, said he was also dismayed with “Trump’s role in inciting violence.”
- John Costello, a senior intelligence official, said the violence at Capitol left him with no choice after the president incited “an unprecedented attack” on democracy.
- Stephanie Grisham, one of Trump’s longest-serving aides, and White House social secretary, and
- Anna Cristina Niceta, also a long-serving Trump official.
Trump Acknowledges Defeat
After the coup attempt at the Capitol, Trump finally decided to acknowledge his defeat. Also, he promised an “orderly and seamless transition of power” in a video on Thursday evening.
In a rare moment, he also said that the “moment calls for healing and reconciliation.”
Moreover, Trump’s acknowledgment of defeat came after lawmakers pressure Vice President Mike Pence to remove Trump from office and invoke the 25th amendment.